New chassis components will feature in Honda’s CBR500R sportbike, as the CB500X and CB500F. With an MSRP of $7,199, Honda’s midsize sportbike will be available in either Grand Prix Red or Sword Silver Metallic starting this month.
CBR500R features a new inverted 41mm Showa SFF-BP fork, a lighter swingarm, and cast-aluminum wheels. You’ll know what to expect if you’ve seen the prior model write-ups. Improved handling and a more intuitive feel are among Honda’s goals for all its 500-level motorcycles.
Front calipers on the entry-level sportbike come with twin 4-piston radial-mount units with 296mm discs.
There are a few notable exceptions. It includes a 471cc parallel-twin engine, Pro-Link rear suspension, slip/assist clutch. Bikes come with a silky smooth gearbox, LED headlamps, and a standard antilock braking system (ABS).
Check out this head-to-head comparison between the Honda CBR500R and the Kawasaki Ninja 300 from when the Honda was still fresh out of the design room. While the CBR500R has been updated since 2016, most of the upgrades have been focused on increasing the machine’s aesthetic appeal and creature comforts.
Technical Specifications of Honda CBR500 R
- Type: Parallel-twin
- Displacement: 471cc
- Bore x stroke: 67.0 x 66.8mm
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Fueling: EFI w/ 34mm throttle bodies
- Valvetrain: DOHC; 4vpc
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Wet multi-plate w/ assist and slipper functions
- Final drive: O-ring chain
- Frame: Diamond-shaped steel tube
- Front suspension; travel: Non-adjustable Showa SFF-BP 41mm inverted fork; 4.3 inches
- Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted, spring-preload adjustable shock; 4.7 inches
- Wheels: 5-spoke aluminum
- Front tire: 120/70 x 17
- Rear tire: 160/60 x 17
- Front brakes: 296mm discs w/ 4-piston radially mounted Nissin calipers
- Rear brake: 240mm disc w/ single-piston caliper
- ABS: Standard
- Wheelbase: 55.5 inches
- Rake: 25.5 degrees
- Trail: 4.0 inches
- Seat height: 31.1 inches
- Fuel capacity: 4.5 gallons
- Curb weight: 423 pounds
- Colors: Grand Prix Red; Sword Silver Metallic
For more news and updates keep visiting BikersInsider.